Monday, December 26, 2011

New TV Stand

(This post is old - like from Thanksgiving 2010. For some reason I never posted it)

I am thanking my lucky stars tonight because... I HAVE A NEW TV STAND!!! You would completely understand my GLEE if you knew my old TV stand. Now, technically speaking there wasn't anything wrong with the old stand, but it definitely didn't go with the decor of our house. See for yourself:

Yuck!

For months I looked for the perfect piece of furniture to set my Husbands precious TV on and I was just not finding anything I loved. Then one night while blogging I came upon this very inspiring photo posted on one of my favorite blogs Sixth-Fifth Avenue:


What a great idea! Using a long buffet as a TV stand creates tons of storage space for all of my movies and it looks great as well. And so my Craig's List search began. Eventually, I came across this little beauty:



She was perfect! So, I dragged poor Tommy, and eventually one of his work buddies out on a Friday night to haul her into the back of my car. She ended up having to sleep outside that night, because our neighbors weren't home to help Tommy haul her into the house. Once they got her inside I took some more shots:



So, my Thanksgiving week was spent priming and painting. First stop, Home Depot! I ended up being there FOREVER trying to find all of the perfect products. I am a very indecisive person, especially when I haven't a clue what I'm doing. So, I ended up talking to the man in front of me at the paint counter. He told me to use an oil based primer tinted gray. I was scared, but I decided to give it a try because, as I said before I am clueless when it comes to paint. I ended up buying Cover Stain Primer. After sanding like crazy and taping all of the inside corners I began the priming. The Cover Stain covered like a dream and I managed to ventilate the room well enough to keep most of my brain cells. 



 Painting was another story. I choose a random shade of black from the displays at Home Depot and I decided to use Behr Paint and Primer in one (gloss). I was trying to skip the polyurethane step. I think that was my mistake. The finish is not what I would like it to be, but it is good enough for now. Here are some painting pictures:



Here she is with half of the hardware on:



In case, you were wondering what happened to our old nasty TV stand I give you exhibit A:


1 comment: